The Not So Itsy Bitsy Spider
A few weeks ago I was walking by my living room when I noticed a large black object on my floor. As I steeped closer I realized that it was pretty much the biggest spider I have ever seen... and it just so happened to be in my house. You can imagine my anger at this, not to mention the fact that my husband was gone camping, which in turn meant that I was either going to have to let the spider roam freely in my house or I was going to have to kill the thing all by myself!
After a brief moment I decided that the spider had seen its last day because he was certainly not allowed to roam my home any longer. I also knew I had to capture the thing on my camera to show my true bravery to my husband when he returned home. I quickly ran to grab the camera and I took the first image and reviewed it. I then realized that I was going to need my close up lens with the high power zoom because I wasn't getting any closer to the thing than I already was.
Once I had put the new lens on my camera I also noticed my goulashes by the backdoor and quickly slipped into those just in case I needed to act quickly! I figured they were added protection in case it decided to try and crawl up my leg. I took a few more photos, but the scale of the spider wasn't obvious. I knew I was going to have to put something near it that would demonstrate the monstrosity and size of the thing. I found a nickle and walked back into the room (each time a little more amazed that the spider hadn't moved). I didn't want to reach my hand down by it to place the nickle, but I certainly didn't want to kill it first because then it would curl up thus decreasing the appearance of it's size. With a shoe in hand I tossed the nickle as close to the spider as I could get it and took a few more pictures. I grabbed the shoe and with one big swing I smashed it.
As a side note, the spider was so large that as my flash on my camera went off his eyes would glisten. It is a wolf spider which is apparently harmless, but I didn't like the looks of him.



Spiders give me the Hebejebees...especially big spiders!
The spiders were starting to play hide-and-go-seek in our house . . . until Pest Control came last week. Hooray for them! Thanks for hanging with us this weekend-we love to share our BYU fanaticism with others!
The spiders were starting to play hide-and-go-seek in our house . . . until Pest Control came last week. Hooray for them! Thanks for hanging with us this weekend-we love to share our BYU fanaticism with others!
FREAKY!?!
EEEK! WAY TO BE BRAVE MISS KARA! We miss you! Cooper has almost outgrown the cute Old Navy outfit you gave him - already! Can you believe it?
EEEEEWWWWWW! I HATE spiders! We had a big momma wolf spider outside our house last summer (even bigger than yours, I swear). I saw the thing and screamed so loud that our neighbors two doors down locked their car when they heard me. I know she was a momma because she had about a bazillion little baby wolfies on her back . . . NASTY! Jason caught the thing and took it in to his work, since he was working for Perkins pest control at the time. You'd better believe our home got a good sprayin' the next day.
GOOD FOR YOU BEIN' ALL BRAVE AND ALL! I suppose in your situation I would also have opted to smash him rather than let him roam, despite the years it would probably take off of my life due to the tremendous anxiety.
WHOAH! That was a long comment. Sorry for the novel!
WOW Kara, you are the bravest girl EVER! I am seriously impressed!
Yeah wolf spiders are freaky! We lived in a basement apartment in Logan UT and I had a crawling baby at the time...well my husband worked nights and one night after I put my baby to bed I walked by the front entrance of our home & I saw a dark large object on the floor. I had to go get my glasses & yeah...it was like a mini tarantula!! ugh! I didn't want to squish it because I knew a spider that big would have lots of guts...and I didn't want to feel crunching! But like you I also didn't want it roaming in my house...so I called my husband freaking out and he told me of the spider spray...so I got the spray & I sprayed that spider so much! I probably used half the container on it! then I put a cup over it & left it for my husband! My husband came home later & I showed it to him & he was like, "It wasn't THAT big!" I was like, "It shriveled up!!" Anyway yeah I haven't seen one that big since...of course I urged my husband that we should move because we got so many spiders in our apartment & it freaked me out with our lil babe!
Oh & we had captured a couple of the spiders that roamed in our house & one lived longer than 2 weeks in a plastic container & after 2 weeks we picked the container up & shook it a bit & the spider barred it's fangs at us..it was the freakiest thing ever!! Yeah we moved for sure! haha