Spring in Arkansas

(Scale: that would be a quarter among all that hail)

And so it begins... that's right, spring in Arkansas! Just what does that mean, you ask? Well, crazy thunderstorms, ferocious tornado's, damaging winds, flooding rain, loss of power, and much, much more! About two weeks ago, the first opportunity arrived to move our trusty weather radio (which provides warnings if a tornado watch or warning is in effect) back into our bedroom as we received our first tornado watch of the season. This is especially important considering we can't hear the tornado sirens out where we live.
Last night a sever thunderstorm rolled through and brought a little present along with it... large quarter sized hail! I couldn't miss the opportunity to show everyone the size of it, so at 11 o'clock last night I found myself running outside in my PJ's, while getting pelted by this stuff, all for the sake of a picture of it! There were larger pieces than this, but for obvious reasons, I grabbed what I could without getting further pelted.
My daffodils, which bloomed last week, look less than happy after the storm. We will see if they make any kind of a recovery today! On the flip side, spring in Arkansas is always so beautiful with all the flowers, and trees, and fields, so green and in bloom. That's the part I love... but I really could do without all the other craziness!

Michelle  – (27/2/09 1:33 PM)  

I'm so glad you got a picture of it! That was totally crazy last night. I never knew there could be thunderstorms in winter time until we moved here. I still think it's bizarre.
Glad you guys were safe! Chris got stuck on I-30 for an hour last night because of an accident only a mile from our exit. Yikes.

Unknown  – (27/2/09 2:00 PM)  

Kara, that is some crazy stuff! I am glad you two are ok! :)

Jennifer  – (27/2/09 10:48 PM)  

Amen sista! Although, for some sick reason I relaxed as I listened to the rolling thunder and went to sleep. We watch the lightning through our half circle window, too.

Sam  – (3/3/09 4:59 PM)  

Wow, that makes me feel a little better about spring in Utah with the 24mph winds going on right now. Good luck with the season; hope it is a mild one!

Courtney  – (4/3/09 10:33 PM)  

Arkansas has the craziest weather! People in the north/west dont really believe me when I say It can be 80 degrees one day and 20 the next!

Widdison  – (12/3/09 10:15 PM)  

I remember hail like that when I lived in Texas! Crazy, right?!

birdeeb  – (6/4/09 12:29 AM)  

When I went to visit my aunt in AR there was a tornado that rolled through town. It didn't touch down, but the lightning was wicked! I woke up to the thunder & when the lightning would hit I could feel the hair on my arms stand up! It was freaky! The next day in the news they talked of the tornado that didn't touch down, but took out a couple of roofs! I had tornado dreams a few weeks after I returned home to Spokane...I was also obsessed with them after I left.

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP