Checking out...


"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it is about learning to dance in the rain."


I have been a little overwhelmed the past two months, not only physically but emotionally. I reached a point where I felt I needed to simply "check out" from life for a while. No blogging, no Facebook, minimal emails, reduced outings, and only necessary phone calls. I found that home was the safest place for sanity. All of the others only seemed to be heavy reminders of what I was lacking.

I do not
typically discuss the personal challenge I have faced to bring life into this world on our family blog. I usually save that topic for my other blog, "My Road to Motherhood"). But for some reason, today I feel it necessary to explain myself and my recent withdraw from the world. So on a serious note, here it goes...

I seem to be somewhat
unavoidably surrounded by pregnant bellies and beautiful babies. I wish to say that I certainly have nothing but joy and happiness for each couple who has been blessed with such, but it doesn't mean that the joy and happiness for them can't be combined with a little personal heartbreak and sorrow. The longer I am left childless the harder it has become to plaster a smile on my face and act like I am stronger than I really am.

Going into hiding seemed to be an easier solution than facing the harsh reminders that seemed to tug at my heart almost daily. But even at home I found that I could not escape my circumstance. I would walk by the room I have verbally labeled "the future nursery" only to see it filled with nothing for a baby. I found a combination of laughter and tears as I have recently received sample packages in the mail of baby formula and diaper samples. Hummmmmm....obviously the sender of such "junk mail" knows more than me, because there is no little one to be found at our address.


It has become harder and harder to be patient and simply hand my circumstance over to the Lord, but in all reality that is about all I can do. We have diligently prayed not only for a child but by which means (IVF or adoption) we should go about to obtain such a
"hoped for" desire. Each time the answer is clear and simple... "just wait, it's not time yet".

So that is what I am doing...
waiting... and watching as practically everyone around me (of child bearing age) has their dreams fulfilled with their beautiful pregnant bellies, and cute little giggly babies. Even the sweet girls who have been on this infertile journey with me for sometime, have so deservingly, had their wishes granted and I have been left to walk the road alone.

In
attempt to cope with my situation and the emotions that surround it, I simply took a break, withdrew, and "checked out" from the world (I know...not really like me at all). In hopes that when I returned I would be in a more stable state of mind. But what I have found is there is no stability in infertility; just hope, faith, and patience...lots of patience! Thank you for the countless prayers and sensitivity to my circumstance. It is often each of you that gives me strength to face, what sometimes must be faced. I am trying to learn to dance in the rain, in hopes that it might make my storm a little easier to endure. Thanks for all your understanding...

Michelle  – (1/8/09 5:20 PM)  

The timing of this post is interesting, because just last night Chris and I were talking about ya'll and how much we wished for you to have a child and how hard it must be for you right now.
I am sorry to be one of the pregnant bellies that causes you pain. I can imagine a little bit how you feel, because for the year and a half after losing Benjamin, I was "allergic" to pregnant bellies and small babies, even the ones related to me. It was even more of an antipathy than an allergy. It just hurt so bad to see the visual reminders of what my arms were aching for! I intentionally would come to church late if I knew a baby was being blessed. I got mad if anyone even invited me to a baby shower. I can't even comprehend what it must be like to not only want a baby for as long as you have, but to not even know if you ever can. I don't blame you at all for checking out. I think you are brave for sharing what you did in this post.
And btw, you will never, ever, EVER hear me complain about this pregnancy. The experiences I have had have taught me how very precious it is. No matter what happens this time and in spite of how afraid I am of what can happen, I am trying my best to find joy in each day of it and really appreciate it to its fullest. Because it is such a blessing. A blessing I want so badly for you, too!
I hope I can help you dance somehow. I hope I am sensitive enough not to ever cause you undue pain.
When you are blessed with a child, surely you will have the deeper joy because of the more intense longing you have had to bear.
Thank you for sharing your heart. . . .

Widdison  – (2/8/09 11:45 AM)  

I know exactly what you are saying. I've had to "check out" many many times just to protect myself. Thinking of you!

Melissa  – (2/8/09 4:36 PM)  

Kara, I had to fight back tears as I read this. I have had that feeling of "checking out," so many times as well and wish no one had to go through the heartbreak of infertility. My heart aches for you. I know from my own experience that there is really nothing much anyone can say to make you feel better, all the "Don't worry it will happen" and "It just must not be your time yet," etc, just really don't mean much when you are going through the pain of not being able to have a child when that is what you long for most. So, while I know I can't give a lot of comfort from words, just know that I love you, I think of you often and if you do go the route of adoption, know that I will be here any time you have any questions or just need some support!

Melissa  – (2/8/09 4:36 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie  – (3/8/09 4:02 PM)  

Kara...
My heart goes out to you. Infertility is not an easy road by any sense of the imgination. It is a huge emotinal, physical, mental, and spiritual load to carry. At times I just wanted to "check out", but like you said, a load that heavey is hard to ignore. Please know you are in our prayers and thoughts...
My friend who had a little stillborn this past January and is now struggling with infertitliy again posted this poem on her blog and I thought you could appreciate it's message...because of what we've faced we'll treasure our little ones even more when we get them. I hope you enjoy it.
All our love- Nat and Rob

There are women that become mothers without effort,
without thought, without patience or loss and though
they are good mothers and love their children, I know
that I will be better.

I will not be better because of genetics, or money or that
I have read more books but because I have struggled and
toiled for this child. I have longed and waited. I
have cried and prayed. I have endured and planned over
and over again.

Like most things in life, the people who truly have
appreciation are those who have struggled to attain
their dreams. I will notice EVERYTHING about my child.
I will take time to watch my child sleep, explore and
discover. I will marvel at this miracle every day for the
rest of my life.

I will be happy when I wake in the middle of the night
to the sound of my child, knowing that I can comfort,
hold and feed him and that I am not waking to take
another temperature, pop another pill, take another
shot or cry tears of a broken dream. My dream will be
crying for me.

I count myself blessed in this sense; that God has
given me this insight, this special vision with which
I will look upon my child that my friends will not
see.

Whether I parent a child I actually give birth to or a
child that God leads me to, I will not be careless
with my love.

I will be a better mother for all that I have endured.

I am a better wife, a better aunt, a better daughter,
neighbor, friend and sister because I have known pain.

I know disillusionment as I have been betrayed by my
own body. I have been tried by fire and hell many
never face, yet given time, I stood tall.

I have prevailed. I have succeeded. I have won.

So now, when others hurt around me, I do not run from
their pain in order to save myself discomfort. I see
it, mourn it, and join them in theirs.

I listen.

And even though I cannot make it better, I can make it
less lonely. I have learned the immense power of
another hand holding tight to mine, of other eyes that
moisten as they learn to accept the harsh truth and
when life is beyond hard. I have learned a compassion
that only comes with walking in those shoes.

I have learned to appreciate life.

Yes I will be a wonderful mother.

~Author Unknown

Hayley  – (7/8/09 11:40 PM)  

You write beautifully. I must say I have experienced some of what you say and my heart goes out to you, my dear friend. We will pray for you! love the Willoughbys

Josh and Cara  – (10/8/09 9:51 PM)  

Kara. Oh goodness. It is so hard sometimes to understand the plan that our Heavenly Father has for us. He has a plan for your family. I have felt a little of what your going through. It's so hard. Keep going and know we are praying and thinking about you. The Barnetts

janel  – (11/8/09 3:54 PM)  

Kara-

Hey thanks for commenting on my blog I had lost your guy's address but so good to jump on and see what you guys are up too. And thank you for being honest and sharing your experiences and your feelings. I'm sorry I can't complete relate to you in this struggle but all I have to say is at least you have dave right there with you - this last few weeks I've become painfully aware that I'm not only single but have absolutely NO IDEA when I will actually find someone to share/start/whatever you want to call it my life with. Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you and if your anything like me even words of consolation sometimes fall quickly but what I can tell you that I don't think I have yet is I think you are beautiful, talented, caring, creative, spiritual, and inspiring. I can see how much Dave loves you and cares about you and you chose such a great man to marry I really wish you guys all the best and look forward to keeping in touch better! I love you guys! Hopefully I'll see you soon!

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP