Family Blankets



 I am proud to admit that I still sleep with a blanket. On occasion, Dave does get a little jealous, claiming that I cuddle with it more than him, and will throw it off the bed or hide it from me.

The blanket is really more of a family tradition than anything else. It was started by my Great Aunt Grace who could quilt beautifully. She would make us each a blanket at birth...from then on we were all hooked (including the boys, although I am sure they wouldn't admit it)! They are always made of this special silky material called Tricot that makes them perfect to wrap yourself in.


Our baby blankets would eventually wear out, requiring a new blanket. We often were able to choose what design and color we wanted on our "replacement " blanket. I remember my neon pink (early 90's if you couldn't tell) with bunnies on it blanket. My last blanket was a soft pink with Winnie the Pooh on it. Just picture this... a 25 year old caring around a pink Winnie the Pooh blanket! I even took with me during my many hospital stays this year. It was finally falling apart at the seams and it looked very tarted and well-loved!

Unfortunately, my Great Aunt Grace has lost her vision. But thankful she has passed her quilting skills down to many member in my family, including my grandma. I drew out the pattern that I was wanting for my new quilt and found the tricot fabric color I wanted. She brought it to Nauvoo when I saw her in September to give me her beautiful master piece. It turned out perfect. I love it and I love this family tradition!

birdeeb  – (1/1/10 11:21 AM)  

How cool! I want one!! ;o)

Mikael Squire  – (20/1/10 12:04 PM)  

I totally and completely understand the blanket thing. I still sleep with mine/take it with me on every trip/carry it with me to friends houses when we watch movies.

Post a Comment


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones



  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP